A more sustainable product range
By using the Eco-Score, we want to help you consume more sustainably. We also want to reduce the ecological impact of our private label products. Why? Sustainability is in our DNA. It is the common thread in everything we do. Therefore, we would like to tell you about what we have already achieved in this respect and what we still plan to do.
Since the beginning of 2020, we have been selling herbs from our self-designed vertical farm. And we are very proud of that! The plants are sustainable from seed to packaging. Some pluses:
- Green energy: the installation runs on electricity from our own wind turbines and solar panels.
- Nothing goes to waste: the herbs get just enough nutrients and rainwater. Not too much, not too little.
- No pesticides: everything is pure nature.
- Sustainable packaging: recyclable yet protective.
- Local: the vertical farm is close to our distribution centre. This saves quite some road transport kilometres.
Banana packaging: an unnecessary double skin
The equivalent of the weight of a sturdy elephant. That is the amount of plastic we save by replacing the plastic bags of our Boni Selection Bio bananas with simple straps. That means about 8.5 tonnes less plastic every year.
Belgian apples with a small footprint
The Magic Star was developed exclusively for Colruyt Group in 2016. A tasty initiative, because:
- The apple variety can be preserved better and is more resistant to disease. It is grown in Belgium, with respect for the environment and biodiversity.
- The harvest volume will increase in the coming years as the trees get bigger. This way, there will be Belgian apples on our shop shelves for longer and we will have to import less.
- Apples, which are not suitable for sale, are used for the Boni Selection apple juice, apple cake and sorbet. That means, hardly any food loss!
Ambition: eco-friendly private label products
In addition to introducing the Eco-Score in Belgium, we also want to actively reduce the environmental impact of the food products of our private label products. To do so, we systematically scrutinise these products and map out the entire product chain. A challenging task! Together with our suppliers, we can take the right actions that will have the greatest impact on the environment.
With this initiative, we contribute to the following Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations.