A more sustainable product range
Sustainable products? We’re all for it! In order to reduce the ecological impact of the food products of our private labels, we systematically monitor the products and map out the entire chain. Together with our suppliers, we can then take the right actions that will have the greatest impact on the environment. Three achievements in the spotlight ...
Since the beginning of 2020, we have been selling herbs from our self-designed vertical farm. And we are very proud of that! The plants are sustainable from seed to packaging. Some pluses:
- Green energy: the installation runs on electricity from our own wind turbines and solar panels.
- Nothing goes to waste: the herbs get just enough nutrients and rainwater. Not too much, not too little.
- No pesticides: everything is pure nature.
- Sustainable packaging: recyclable yet protective.
- Local: the vertical farm is close to our distribution centre. This saves quite some road transport kilometres.
Banana packaging: no unnecessary double skin
The equivalent of the weight of a sturdy elephant. That is the amount of plastic we save by replacing the plastic bags of our Boni Selection Bio bananas with simple straps. That means about 8.5 tonnes less plastic every year.
Belgian apples with a small footprint
The Magic Star was developed exclusively for Colruyt Group in 2016. A tasty initiative, because:
- The apple variety can be preserved better and is more resistant to disease. It is grown in Belgium, with respect for the environment and biodiversity.
- The harvest volume will increase in the coming years as the trees get bigger. This way, there will be Belgian apples on our shop shelves for longer and we will have to import less.
- Apples, which are not suitable for sale, are used for the Boni Selection apple juice, apple cake and sorbet. That means, hardly any food loss!
The Eco-score makes it easier to make eco-friendly choices. At a glance you can see information about the environmental impact of a product.
The Eco-score summarizes the environmental impact throughout the life cycle of a product. In addition, additional plus or minus points can be awarded.
The figures on the environmental impact of food are undeniable. Fortunately, you can make a big difference with your everyday food choices.