Responsible pork production
And so we think it is important to treat animals with respect and to look after their welfare. We observe the law, but also perform extra checks and formulate additional requirements whenever necessary. Together with our pig farmers, we continue to take improvement initiatives.
Quality in specifications
In addition to the legal obligations, our pork suppliers also follow the extra quality requirements in our evolving specifications. Today’s version is already the sixth, which is yet another improvement for (public) health and animal welfare, and thus the quality of the meat.
A few criteria:
- The feed is 100 % vegetable and contains at least 60 % cereals.
- The pigs are not castrated, but vaccinated. In this way, we avoid a great deal of pain and stress for the piglets, while - like is the case with castration - no 'boar taint' is released during frying. Moreover, vaccination reduces the risk of infections among the animals, which means that antibiotics are less likely to be needed.
- Antibiotics are used responsibly and in a controlled way.
- Growth promoters are prohibited by law.
- The animals are stunned before slaughter.
For the pork on our shop shelves, we also work with Belgian partners so we can set up a transparent chain. One such partner is BioVar.be, a pig farm in Ruiselede. A modern organic farm where technology and attention to animal welfare go hand in hand.
Room for organic
An organic pig farm also follows the stricter requirements of the organic legislation. The pigs can behave more naturally: rooting in straw, going outside, walking around freely... With three to five times more space to express themselves than in a traditional farm. And the piglets stay with their mothers longer.
Besides complying with the strict organic criteria, our West-Flemish partner BioVar.be makes extra efforts. For example, the animals have seven times more natural light than legally required. Via BioVar.be we want to support more pig farmers in switching to an organic approach or to more animal-friendly barns.
The organic BioVar.be pork is available at Bio-Planet and Colruyt Lowest Prices since the end of August 2019.
Improving the living conditions of animals is a continuous learning curve and we want to continue making additional improvements. In dialogue with the whole sector and the competent authorities, and together with our suppliers, we continue to work on more animal welfare throughout the chain.