Thanks to the MSC and ASC label, we can be sure that the fish was caught or farmed in a sustainable manner. To guarantee and strengthen the sustainability of our private label products we also cooperate with independent researchers (ILVO).
Sustainable wild fish
We want to protect the biodiversity and natural wealth of the sea. We do this by respecting 3 basic principles:
- Sustainable fish stocks: we do not sell overfished or endangered fish species.
- Reducing the impact on other marine life as much as possible: Our suppliers do no use fishing methods that damage the seabed or result in excessive levels of by-catches. (‘by-catch’ means marine animals that are caught unintentionally during fishing for a different species.)
- Effective fisheries management : We only work with fisheries that put in place an effective and responsible fisheries management.
Colruyt Group chooses the Marine Stewardship Council-standard (MSC) for all fish species it is available for. MSC is an international and reputable certification that respects the 3 aforementioned basic principles and is based on scientific insights. MSC covers the assessment of fisheries, verification by means of independent audits, and the traceability of all fish. MSC-certified products have the MSC-label on their packaging.
If MSC-certification is not available for a particular fish species, we ask ILVO (Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research) to carry out an independent evaluation. They apply the same three basic principles. For canned tuna that is not yet MSC-certified, our suppliers have to be a member of ISSF (International Seafood Sustainability Foundation).
of our private label wild-caught fish, shellfish and crustacean products was MSC certified or verified by ILVO or ISSF in 2022
Best supermarket for fresh fish
The Marine Stewardship Council annually grants the Sustainable Fish Awards to highlight unique sustainability achievements within the Belgian fisheries sector. In 2023, Colruyt Group won the award for "Best supermarket for fresh fish" for its sustainable fish offering in its stores.
Sustainably farmed fish with ASC label
All fish farms that supply to us undertake to respect responsible fish and shellfish farming principles. They do this by:
- Ecosystems and minimising the environmental impact
- Avoiding water pollution
- Only using sustainable fish feed
- Applying strict standards for the use of antibiotics and other medication. The use of antibiotics is strictly limited to emergencies and in some cases even completely prohibited (e.g. in scampi farming).
- Appropriate work practices and closely monitoring the social conditions in the fish farms.
Colruyt Group has opted to use the Aquaculture Stewardship Council-standard (ASC) for all fish and shellfish for which it is available. ASC is an international and reputable certification that respects stringent sustainability principles, both in terms of the environment and social responsibility. ASC covers the assessment of fisheries, verification by means of independent audits, and the traceability of all fish. ASC-certified products have the ASC-label on their packaging.
of our private label farmed fish, shellfish and crustacean products was ASC or BIO certified in 2022
Sustainable farmed fish with organic label
In addition to ASC, Colruyt Group also offers farmed fish with the European organic label. This guarantees the fish was farmed organically. The standards are certified by the European Union and verified by independent checks throughout the chain.
What does the EU Organic Label mean in practice?
- Fish are given organic feed (without GMOs).
- They have more room to swim in the water (lower fish density than conventionally farmed fish).
- Natural treatments are preferred.
- Dyestuff is prohibited.
- Continuous environmental monitoring limits the environmental footprint to a minimum.